1. Sports

Bodybuilding Without Steroids

By February 23, 2006

A question that I get frequently asked by men from all ages is whether or not it is possible to achieve a good physique without steroids. The disturbing trend that I see lately is that a large majority of people think that bodybuilding cannot be practiced steroid free and that anybody (male or female) who has attained a great physique "must be on something". This belief is, of course, not a true statement.

As a result, I decided to put together an FAQ titled "Can I Get Big Without Steroids?" In this FAQ, I provide my thoughts on the subject as well as what I think is the key to achieving bodybuilding success naturally.

Comments

December 7, 2006 at 5:00 pm
(1) mark says:

What is a ‘great’ physique? Steroid use has been shown to have begun years before we once thought. With admissions by Bill Pearl, refusal to deny by Viator, suspiciously rapid improvement by young Reg Park, Draper’s rarely mentioned health issues, and York’s ‘isometric’ coverup of steroid use, it’s a fair assumption that even Grimek, Reeves, Scott, and Zane gave them at least a try. I’m 6’2″. with my genetic makeup and proportions, 18″ arms would only be possible if I weighed 250lbs, and to weigh that lean hasn’t happened with years of focus on diet and exercise. I’m not asking for advice, I’m perfectly thrilled with my condition. At 58, I’m in the top percentile for physique in my age group, and at this point, wouldn’t want to weigh 250 anyway. My remark earlier aside: Steve Reeves was 6’1 1/2″ , and weighed 215 in competiton, less in Hercules movies, and under 200lbs in other roles, while looking amazing all the while. His natural proportions can’t be created with training. Can you accept your arm size at 6’1/215lbs? Some people can’t. That’s why we have 5’10, 300lb dudes with 38′ waists as bodybuilders now.

July 24, 2007 at 4:39 am
(2) janet says:

That’s hysterical…yes you can get a great physique without drugs. You won’t get anywhere in the sport though. I was a big fan as a teenager but when I found out about all the drugs I dropped it. The most glaring example of how drug infested this sport continues to be is “women’s fitness”. Those women are jacked too….the very sport that was suppose to be the answer to those “god awful ugly women bodybuilders” What a joke. This whole sport is still a joke and the complete opposite of anything healthy. I don’t think there is one pro bodybuilder I’ve seen yet that could be called drug free.

July 16, 2008 at 12:05 pm
(3) John says:

What Janet said pretty much sums it up. I have two friends who achieved incredible size with small waists…for years denying they were juicing. That’s until last summer when Paul found out he had cancer. Bodybuilding shouldn’t be a sport. And the women doing it shouldn’t be considered women. They don’t resemble anything that looks remotely female.

December 3, 2008 at 12:55 pm
(4) Johnny G says:

well Mark all I can say in defense for Steeve Reeves & John Grimek is that they didn’t use steriods – I got this from some of the true great historians of bodybuilding – one being Terry Todd and the other was Dave Draper, plus I know a man name Bill Grenier from Harrisburg, Pa who knew both men very well and he would agree with me – steroid were not even around at that time in the 40′s and 1950 when Steve finally retired – so to all of you who want to believe that past bodybuilders of the 40′s used steroids then believe in what ever you want

July 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm
(5) Harold says:

Steroids were invented in the early 1930s. Steroids have definitely been used by the Soviets in the 1950s. I absolutely agree that steroid users will lie to their death beds about using. I am bewildered by the rampant use of the drugs that I am convinced that all of the pro bodybuilders and a lot of natural bodybuilders are juicing!

September 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm
(6) steroids says:

Be sure to check with an expert or a physician even with natural bodybuilding steroids because abusing these can have detrimental effects on your health.

June 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm
(7) Laurie says:

The only way we will ever KNOW for sure is when the sport become legitimate and starts testing before competitions…until then, I will not be legit….or healthy.