1. Sports

Bodybuilding FAQ - Can I Use Amino Acid Tablets Instead of Protein Powders?

By November 26, 2008

Technically, a complete amino acid formula provides the same protein that you can find in a protein powder. Remember that all proteins are made up from amino acids. However, you would need to ingest a very large amount of these tablets in order to get the same amount of protein that a protein powder can offer.

Most amino acid formulas on the market carry 1000 mg of aminos per tablet, which equals 1 gram of protein per tablet. Therefore, in order to get 30 grams of protein you would need to ingest 30 amino acid tablets.

In my opinion, if you don't have the time to prepare a protein shake, then I suggest trying an RTD (Ready-to-Drink) product, as otherwise, you will not be getting the protein that you need in between meals.

Related Articles

Comments

November 27, 2008 at 2:40 am
(1) Athletic Muscle Building says:

Thanks for posting this info.

What are your thoughts on complete amino powders vs. essential amino powders vs. BCAAs?

Train hard,
Tony Schwartz
Muscle Building Blog

November 27, 2008 at 8:23 am
(2) Fred Colbourne says:

Hugo, I can’t imagine trying to take that number of tablets or that much time to make a shake. What I do is mix 60 grams unflavored whey protein powder, fruit meusli and some plain youghurt plus a little water and stir it together so it’s like porridge. Sometimes I add sliced fresh fruit. Takes about two or three minutes. A great breakfast or quick snack. Cheers, Fred

November 27, 2008 at 11:40 am
(3) bodybuilding says:

Hello Tony,

I think that for an advanced bodybuilder (and certainly for the competitive ones) BCAA supplementation before, during and after the workout in the form of powder is extremely useful. Using BCAA aminos in this form has allowed me to keep a significant amount of muscle mass as I diet down for competitions. In the off-season this amino acid loading has also proven to be very useful at helping advanced athletes get to the next level.

As far as using other amino acid powders, I personally feel that an athlete can get all of those aminos from the protein intake in the diet.

—————————-

Dear Fred,

Thanks for the recipe! Yes, I know what you mean…30 tablets would make most of us nauseous. I guess that if I did not have a choice I would do it, but with the multiple protein powders and RTD’s available, there is no need for such as Spartan effort.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

-HR

June 11, 2010 at 9:24 am
(4) muscle mass building says:

As for my side, I just buy RTD (Ready to Drink) than making protein shakes.

November 25, 2010 at 6:20 am
(5) sonuboyat says:

why did use to ameino acid in workout time

February 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm
(6) Grimmer says:

You actually wanna take the aminos between meals in about 10 gram dosages. Generally 5 pills 3 or 5 times a day. Preferably with some carb source. There are some studies showing this actually increases protein synthesis best.

March 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm
(7) spoon says:

hello sir, i took large amount of creatine monohydrate few months back during rugby training and i had a mussel Inger in my low abbs. after that i didnt play for 6 weeks and still i have the pain in that area..is protein will help me to quick recovery ? please give some advice regarding this matter.

March 28, 2011 at 7:18 am
(8) bodybuilding says:

Hi there,

First, I don’t think it was the large amount of creatine what caused your lower ab injury. I think it is just a coincidence that it happenned during the period of use.

To answer your question, I would simply suggest a diet program like the one in my sample bodybuilding diet as this program will provide you with the nutrition that you need in order for the body to recover. The program uses protein powder for convenience purposes.

As far as amino acid tablets, I would not recommend using them instead of protein powder. 1 tablet typically provides 1 gram of protein. 1 scoop of protein powder gives you 25 grams of protein, generally speaking. Thus, you would need 25 tablets of amino acids in order to make up 1 scoop. That is neither practical nor economic.

I wish you the best in your recovery!
Hugo

November 12, 2011 at 11:27 pm
(9) my protein says:

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my website =). We may have a hyperlink change arrangement among us

December 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm
(10) mohannad says:

isnt the protein in bcaa stronger than typical protein powder?

February 26, 2012 at 2:46 am
(11) homa bahmani says:

Hi. i am a girl and have 27 ages.my height is 155 cm and my weight is 45.800 kiloogeram.i have been work bodybulding from july till now.i lost 7.500 kiloo.but now i still have belly and always my upper body is biger than my butt.how could i lose my belly fat?can i use amino tablet for this reason.what kind of sports should i have in gym?