1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Bodybuilding After 70

By October 3, 2009

For some reason in our society these days, a lot of people think that they are too old to do bodybuilding and get results.  Sometimes I have even talked to 30 year old guys who feel like they are way past their prime.  Personally speaking, I must say that at almost 35, I feel better (and I am in way better shape) than I was when I was 14 years old.  As a matter of fact, the Valeo weight belt that my mom got me for my 14th birthday fits my waistline better than ever these days.  However, it can be argued quite successfully that 35 years old is still a young age. What if you are 70 years old?  Can you get great results from a bodybuilding program?  While studies and my own personal experience with clients shows me that this is the case, I was astonished when I came across some news from Japan the other day.

A bodybuilder named Tsutomu Tosuka won the 21st Japan Masters Bodybuilding Championships at 74 years old!  And when you look at this guy, he looks better than most 20 year olds!  And on top of that, the guys he was competing against were in unbelievable shape as well.

Granted, Mr. Tosuka has been training for around 50 years, but this case goes to show you how the bodybuilding lifestyle is really the fountain of youth.

Here is a video of Mr. Tosuka and his competition: 74 Year Old Bodybuilding Champion.

Related Articles:

How Should Bodybuilders Over 40 Train?

Take Care Of Your Joints To Have Years Of Injury And Pain Free Bodybuilding.

Creating a Healthy Bodybuilding Lifestyle

Comments

October 5, 2009 at 11:21 am
(1) walter boston says:

Iam 78 yearas old and having been usin the weight room for the past 10 yearas. Last week I had a cardiac “experience”, followed by having 3 stents put in my heart. My question is, do you have a cardiac rehab program for me that I could use in the weight room. There are trained perple there who could assist me with your recommendation Thank you.

October 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm
(2) Jim Davis says:

I’m 55, twenty-six months out of major lumbar reconstruction surgery, and stronger than I’ve been in years. I’ve been back in the gym for 14 months. From barely able to stand without a cane before the surgery to doing rack deadlifts with 455, leg presses with 800+ and benching 255, I’m kicking you-know-what on a daily basis!

It’s never too late to bodybuild — it’s just a matter of doing it in a way appropriate for your body and issues.

October 6, 2009 at 12:01 am
(3) David C. Rodway says:

You guys never mentioned Clarence Bass!!!!

Clarence Bass
Ripped Enterprises
PO Box 51236
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87181-1236

October 7, 2009 at 10:20 am
(4) Bob says:

Hey guys (and gals)…I’m 70yrs old and have been working out for past nine yrs and love it!…yes, I am in better shape then my bud (54yrs old) and my doc (who is also 70 and works out daily) thinks I am the “poster” boy for the group…but don’t forget Jack LaLanne at age 93..have you seen his latest pics?!..Awesome dude…oh yes, forgot to mention, my gym bud is 86 and has been working out since 16yrs old….that’s 70 yrs!
Thanks for the article, it certainly confirms what we “youngsters” believe.

October 12, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(5) Albert Begin says:

I’m 71 and have been hitting the gym regularly for the last year. I’ve gone from 204 pounds to 180. More important is the fact that I’ve really toned up. I have far more stamina and many friends have commented on my improved appearance.

November 21, 2009 at 3:54 pm
(6) MikeZ says:

Ok. If your thinking about buying Animal Pack think would recommend the Dr. Max Powers Anabolic Stack instead. You don’t need to take 2 packs a day. 1 is accually perfect.

After 6 months of taking the Dr. Max Powers Anabolic Stack the results have been incredible.mainly to strengthen up for football season in the first 3 months of taking the Dr Max Anabolic Stack i gain 15lbs of muscule,as far as sprinting and endurance goes my speed increased. the wieght i was lifting at the gym increased as well.

3months-now

Benchmax:175-215-230
squatmax:285-325-375
powerclean:160-190-220

this was by far the best decision i made as far as supplements goes, along with a reliable protein shake the results have been 100% positive.if your in any sport at any level high school football to college basketball and your looking to gain that extra edge animal pak is the way to go. true the pills themselves are rather big but simply taking one at a time will quickly solve that problem.in the first week of taking them you want to drink as much water as possible no joke you’ll experience dizzyness if you dont drink enough water but accompanied by a good healthy diet you’ll experience muscle and strength gains like no other.

December 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(7) larry says:

Im 77 years old and lift in My garage and some time at the Y, I like My garage better. Any way…I intended to powerlift this year but a bad back (picking up a screw driver off the floor) pretty much ended that. But I still am pushing those lifts a little. I have My bench up to 220, and when the ole back will allow..a 240 squat…no dead lifts. I bought My first barbells from Joe Weider when He was in Jersey City NJ…that was about 1947…still have them…never give up.