With that said, today we will learn how to properly perform the leg raises. Leg raises are a great way to target the lower portion of the abdominals. In conjunction with a good bodybuilding diet, leg raises will give a flat and toned look to your lower abdominal section.
- Lie on a flat surface with your lower back curvature pressed against the surface. Hold on to a fixed and sturdy object behind you (such as one of the beams from a squat rack) or you can just have your arms by your side with the palms facing the floor. Your feet should be straight in front of you and the upper torso should be aligned with the arms behind you holding on to the fixed object.
- Raise your legs to where they are off the floor. This will be your starting position.
- Raise your legs until the torso makes a 90-degree angle with the legs. Exhale as you perform this movement and hold the contraction for a second or so.
- Go back slowly to the starting position as you breathe in.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- Perform this exercise slowly and deliberately.
- As you get more advanced you can hold a dumbbell in between your feet or attach a pulley to them for added resistance. However, you have to be very careful when adding weight to this exercise as if you add too much too quickly you could get easily injured.
What You Need
- Bench or Exercise Mat (optional)